guix-devel

Re: Guix on macOS

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Guix on macOS
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 09:56:55 +0200

Am 27.10.2017 um 06:11 schrieb Chris Marusich:
> * Nix's Darwin bootstrap tools are maintained in Nix, but they aren't
>   cross-compiled (e.g., from x86_64-linux).  They're built from a
>   previous generation of the stdenv for Darwin.  I suspect, but do not
>   know for sure, that originally the bootstrap binaries were compiled
>   using the usual impure and non-free macOS toolchain.

For cross-building the PyInstaller bootloader we are using the ideas
based on OSXcross [1]. Basically we are extracting parts of the SDK from
Xcode and using this cross-build the bootloader. The SDK as a whole must
only be used on a Apple device, but parts of the SDK *may* not have this
limitation.[*] If you are interested who we do this, plase have a look
at [2] and [3].

[*] I did no check the license in detail. If Apple stepps up and
complains, we'll simply stop delivering a pre-compiled bootloader.

[1] https://github.com/tpoechtrager//osxcross
/[2]
https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/blob/v3.3/doc/bootloader-building.rst
[3]