guix-devel

Disable gnulib's test-lock test in packages?

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Disable gnulib's test-lock test in packages?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:16:45 +0000

Hello Guix,

Several packages (libunistring, gettext, and libidn) in the guix bootstrap path
hang on the "test-lock" test from gnulib while building on a aarch64 system I
have access to.  Some of them already have a patch applied that is supposed to
fix the hang on system's with large core-counts, but it seems ineffective on my
system.  The findutils package is also affected, and there may be others, but I
haven't discovered them yet.

This commit in gnulib fixes the test-lock issue on my system, but doesn't help
until our packages update their gnulib source:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/commit/?id=be95b17ae933323cb757471f3d7c3f0617f9257e

Not knowing any better, I created a dummy project to run the latest gnulib lock
tests, attached for clarity.

Until the updated lock module and tests make its way into these packages, I
would like to ask if disabling these tests outright would be acceptable,
similar to the attached patch.  Thoughts?

Eric Bavier, Scientific Libraries, Cray Inc.