guix-devel

Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: java: switch to icedtea-8 as default JDK
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 08:01:27 +0100

Hello!

I just run a quick grep to see which files might be interesting.

We use ant-build-system in:
axoloti.scm *
bioinformatics.scm *
compression.scm *
icu4c.scm
java.scm *
libusb.scm *
music.scm *
textutlis.scm
uml.scm *
version-control.scm *
web.scm *
xml.scm

Only the ant-build system uses icedtea among build systems.

Icedtea is explicitly metioned in the ones maked with *, and:
kodi.scm
math.scm
ruby.scm

We have a definition in place where currently icedtea is defined to be icedtea-7.
I guess we could just flip that to icedtea-8, and check what still works.
That would flip the version in the build system also, as it uses "icedtea".

Should I check which packages are affected in advance, or just go with the build and see what does not work?

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Guix,
>>>
>>> some of our Java packages now only build with icedtea-8.  To avoid
>>> incompatibilities we should make icedtea-8 the default and make sure
>>> that all packages still build with that version.
>>>
>>> Who would like to help with this?  We can do this in a separate branch
>>> and build it on berlin.guixsd.org.
> […]
>>
>> I'd like to help with this.  Do we just need to update various java
>> package definitions to use the most recent icedtea-8, and debug any
>> issues that might arise?  Or did you mean something else?
>
> Yes, that’s pretty much it.  I remember that some of the early Java
> packages I added could not be built with icedtea-8.  In those cases it
> may be sufficient to set the compiler source version to 1.7 while still
> using icedtea-8.
>
> I’d be happy if you could give this a try in a new branch.  Once we have
> a branch we can build I’ll update the Cuirass specs on berlin.guixsd.org
> to build the Java packages and their dependencies from the new branch.
> Let’s base this on core-updates.

OK, I'll find some time to work on this in the coming days.  I'll send
you an update by the end of this month at the latest.

--
Chris