guix-devel

Re: Building Docker images of GuixSD

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Building Docker images of GuixSD
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 01:33:02 -0800

Hi,

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> writes:

> Awesome stuff Chris, I've tried this myself, on a Debian machine with
> Docker installed.

Great!  It's heartening to know that I'm not the only one tinkering with
this.  :-)

> I changed the %base-file-systems in the very-bare-bones system with
> %container-file-systems, and then things started working.

I see.  I'll have to try this, too.

> I tried without privileged mode, and got a error related to the firmware
> service. This isn't included when you build call
> operating-system-derivation with the #:container? #t argument, and sure
> enough I was able to get the system up without the Docker --privileged
> flag. I think Ludo mentioned this in his reply.

Excellent!  I'll have to do that, too.

> Unfortunately, while I could get a shell using "docker exec ...", I had
> to start the guix-daemon manually as the shepherd service didn't seem to
> work, at least initially. Also, when I had started it, I tried
> installing a package, and there was some promising output to start off
> with, but then it failed with:
>
>   guix package: error: build failed: cloning builder process: Operation
>   not permitted

Huh.  I'll look into this.

> Anyway, this is all pretty great! Awesome work getting this far. I'm
> very excited to see what services will run this way, as Docker could
> provide, albeit with some overhead, a layer of interoperability between
> software that can handle Docker containers, and Guix.

I agree!  Thank you for taking the time to test this out.  It's
extremely helpful to get a second pair of eyes on it.

--
Chris