guix-devel

Re: GNOME on Wayland current status

From: Rutger Helling
Subject: Re: GNOME on Wayland current status
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 11:49:34 +0100

Hi ng0,

that might be a good idea. I was disturbed to learn that SLiM
has seemingly been abandoned since 2013
(source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM), so lightdm might
be a good light-weight alternative as the default display manager. Do
you know if the lightdm process itself can run on Wayland (like GDM)?

@Mark

SDDM for the moment cannot run on Wayland yet, which is why it starts
its own X server.

I don't think I've had some of the problems you had with GNOME. Could
you try logging in once via a display manager to GNOME (either X11 or
Wayland is fine), then logging out, stopping the display manager and
running the following command on a TTY:

XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session gnome-session

One of the problems I've run into myself is that X11 screen lockers
like xlock don't seem to work. In GNOME GDM is supposed to be the
screen locker I believe, but I don't think that works at the moment.
I'll try and see if there's a simple Wayland-based screen locker we
could use later.