guix-devel

Re: Drive identifiers

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Drive identifiers
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:27:17 +0100

> bug#23072. The bug is sill open.

From the bug report:

>>>   "clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc"

That's a Linux kernel message - so grub is innocent.  It loaded the Linux
kernel.

I recommend mounting the root by UUID, then it will be found.

> I would not recommend doing this because forcing the specification of
> serial number would further complicate the system config process for all
> users but provide insurance that, at best, would protect only the small
> subset of users with multiple drives. IOW, it would force everybody to
> buy insurance that single drive guixSD users will never need, and savvy
> sysadmins won't want.

It would just be an option.
The user could also specify the device by name.

Having a declarative specification with non-persistent
names in it is dangerous.

> WRT multi-drive systems, the most pressing issue involves raided system
> drives. (e.g, see my config below). This works great but has a HUGE
> vulnerability: When the raid member holding the bootloader fails
> So the most pressing need, IMO, is to provide a way
> to maintain the bootloader on multiple targets (e.g., all the mapped
> devices in "/dev/md3" below).

Makes sense.
Please file a bug report about it...

I think installing the bootloader on multiple devices is the easy part.

Does it also require grub.conf on multiple devices or is that part already
RAID-aware then?