guix-devel

aarch64 machines donated by ARM!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: aarch64 machines donated by ARM!
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:23:47 +0100

Hello Guix!

In December, Richard Henwood of ARM Holdings kindly donated two SoftIron
OverDrive 1000:

  https://softiron.com/development-tools/overdrive-1000/

These are 4-core, pretty fast machines.  Both are currently at my place
and I recently added one to the berlin.guixsd.org build farm.  It
started building packages from the ‘core-updates’ branch, though it’s
not working at full speed yet due to the Cuirass developments going on.

The second machine needs a replacement of its power supply unit.
Unfortunately, SoftIron stopped answering my messages after initially
offering to provide a replacement.  I started looking for a compatible
PSU in on-line shops but the form factor is quite unusual (160x65x65mm).
If you know where to get that, I’m all ears!

Anyway, we’ll now be able to continuously provide binaries for aarch64,
and that’s really great news.  I suppose we’ll need to increase the
build capacity for aarch64 eventually so we can keep up with the change
rate, but that’s a great start.

Thanks a lot to ARM and to Richard for this donation!

Ludo’.