guix-devel

Re: heads-up: Haskell updates

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: heads-up: Haskell updates
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 08:38:12 -0500

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> I have just rebuilt ghc-resourcet with a modified ghc-mtl, which I
> suspect is the source of the problem, because it pulls in a newer
> version of ghc-transformers.  I’m going to push this to core-updates and
> master in a moment.

Based on your earlier suggestion, I played around with removing all the
packages that GHC provides.  I made the same change to ghc-mtl on
core-updates, and it allows me to build ghc-resourcet.

I went a bit further and removed ghc-array, ghc-binary, ghc-bytestring,
ghc-directory, ghc-haskeline, ghc-process, ghc-transformers, and
ghc-transformers-0.4.2.0 from everywhere.  As far as I can tell, only
four packages use these as inputs: ghc-mtl, ghc-tar, ghc-hslogger, and
darcs.  After removing all the references, I tested building ghc-pandoc
(which uses ghc-mtl and ghc-tar), ghc-hslogger, and darcs.  All were
successful.

Is this too drastic?  I could rebase on top of your ghc-mtl changes and
submit a patch if you think its OK.

-- Tim