guix-devel

Re: PYTHONPATH woes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: PYTHONPATH woes
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:59:53 +0100

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 01:36:17PM +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> The basic idea is make the application/script use a python within a
> virtual environment. I nee to rethink some details and check whether
> this will work out.

I may misunderstand how you are doing this, but I think it is going to
cause problems. Python makes assumptions about the environment and
virtualenv kinda redirects those. On top of that we have guix profiles
and people who need to redirect PYTHONPATH (temporarily). Adding
virtualenv into the mix will complicate things. Then there are people
using virtualenv on top of Guix ...

I think the problem of mixing module versions has to be resolved
through profiles. That should just work(tm).

The problem of mixing interpreter versions can be resolved through
profiles. Though there is the danger that people mix them into one
profile.

For this I suggest we tell Python2 to only use PYTHONPATH2. That way
there is no interference. Python2 is being phased out (it is obsolete)
and upstream should consider such a solution too.

With Ruby we have a similar interpreter issue - even more fine grained
between versions. It is a pain. But there is no real solution other
than using profiles properly.

Pj.