guix-devel

Re: Nginx service fails

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Nginx service fails
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 00:43:35 +0100

Hello Danny,

thanks for your quick reply!

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 12:07:44AM +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> find-long-options is supposed to be in gnu/build/linux-boot.scm and
> gnu/services/base.scm is using it.
>
> It's in there for some weeks now...
>
> You can find out where guix is by:
> readlink $(which guix)
> and then examine the scm files there...

It should not matter, since I am using "./pre-inst-env" in a current
git checkout. But "guix --version" is at 0.14.0-9.bdf0c64, which also
has find-long-options. I did a successful reconfigure on February 28.

Trying to use the old guix (without ./pre-inst-env), I am also running
into trouble:
$ guix system reconfigure AE/clementi.scm
guix system: error: failed to load 'AE/clementi.scm':
AE/clementi.scm:5:0: In procedure allocate-struct: Wrong type argument in
position 2: 25

The configuration file looks like this:
(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules networking ssh web)
(use-package-modules screen ssh vim)

(operating-system
  (host-name "clementi")

So line 5 is "operating-system". I think there is a problem with caching
somewhere:
$ rm -rf ~/.cache
$ guix system reconfigure AE/clementi.scm
Now things happen. (But they hang when contacting the substitute server.)

It has also bitten me in the other direction:
When I run "guix system reconfigure...", press "Ctrl-C" immediately, and then
run "./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure...", I get almost the same message:
guix system: error: failed to load 'AE/clementi.scm':
/home/andreas/guix/AE/clementi.scm:5:0: In procedure allocate-struct: Wrong
type argument in position 2: 24

Is this normal? How are users supposed to know they should delete .cache?
And when is this actually necessary?

Andreas