guix-devel

Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: XWayland, /tmp/.X11-unix
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:02:20 +0200

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

> I wanted to test it by using the changed guix and an operating-system
> that would include the x11-socket-dir-service. Things got messy, guix
> started to insist on building Python (and failing at it!). I cleaned up
> and started again:
> $ git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
> $ cd guix
> $ guix environment guix
> $ ./bootstrap
> $ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> $ make
>
> # ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
> # ./pre-inst-env guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>
> => since I had things to do away from the computer, I gave guix the
> chance to complete, but like 3 hours later it was still building and
> testing stuff, where prior to this mess, I would have expected none of
> that. Last package I recognised was Subversion.

[...]

> address@hidden ~# cd /home/thorwil/guix_env/guix/
> address@hidden /home/thorwil/guix_env/guix# ./pre-inst-env guix system
> reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to
> be uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
> guix: offload: command not found
> Try `guix --help' for more information.
> guix system: error: build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line

This could be because you are running the daemon from a git checkout.
I've never tried doing that, but you will probably have to configure
with "--sysconfdir=/etc" to pick up '/etc/guix/acl'.

Does it work if you use the "normal" daemon?  There's usually no need to
run the daemon from git unless you are hacking on it.