guix-devel

Re: fftw runtime cpu detection

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: fftw runtime cpu detection
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:05:43 +0200

Hello Eric,

Eric Bavier <address@hidden> skribis:

> I recently discovered that the FFTW library can do runtime cpu
> detection.  In order to do this, the package needs to be configured to
> build SIMD "codelets", like how our 'fftw-avx' currently does.  Then,
> based on the instruction support detected at runtime, make those
> kernels available to the fftw "planner" for execution.

That’s really good news!  Thanks for testing it.

The patch LGTM.  Can you confirm that the planner won’t ever try to use
the AVX2 codelets, for instance when running the test suite on an x86_64
box that lacks AVX2?

If that’s the case, I’d be in favor of pushing this patch to core-updates.

Thanks,
Ludo’.