guix-devel

Re: [bug#31076] gnurl 7.59.0

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [bug#31076] gnurl 7.59.0
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:41:53 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus transcribed 1.2K bytes:

> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I'm looking into switching gnurl to bmake + mk-config. I've already got the
> >> tools on my side.
> >> Do you want me to continue the native autotools support for Guix in gnurl,
> >> derived from curl? Or would it be okay to switch guix over to bmake +
> >> mk-config if it works out for gnurl?
> >>
> >> I'm asking because I could manage to support 2 build-system, it just would
> >> be a bit unconvenient for me.
> >
> > Correction: I noticed this will make building gnurl unpleasant on guix side.
> > I would have to introduce the bmake + mk + the bootstrapping of bmake
> > without
> > make in the build system I'm currently working on.. in Guix, which is
> > something
> > I'm pretty sure will not be taken into master.
> >
> > Alternative: a simple bmake using the gnu-build-system (and therefore
> > depending
> > on make deeper down the graph) would be accepted I guess?
>
> What is the purpose of swapping out the build system?  I thought gnurl
> is not supposed to be a project in its own right, so making gratuitous
> changes to the build system seems like it wouldn’t be in scope.  It also
> sounds like it would *add* dependencies purely for another build system,
> even though a perfectly adequate build system already exists.

It is a project on its own for GNUnet and Taler. The amount of changes that
went into
the build system specifically lead to merges being easy to make but an annoying
pain
to check and merge.
Furthermore gnurl does not target the same obscure amount of platforms curl
does, so
if I implement this, it will be just if it makes my life easier in the long run.
The fork in the code in gnurl from the beginning on was in the build-system of
curl.

In theory I could revert my changes  to the build system I made and maintain my
own
set of build system files in the source, potentially decreasing merge time from
now
around 15 - 120+ minutes to simply applying changes that happened in curl
without
re-running my merge scripts.