guix-devel

Re: Guix-based build tool

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Guix-based build tool
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:50:31 -0700

Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> David Thompson has made many comments before on the mistake of mixing
> build systems and package managers... I'm a bit worried that we might be
> encouraging going down that same path?

The Guix daemon implements the functional software deployment model.
That model can, in theory, be used to create various things.  One of
those things is a package manager.  Another of those things is a
continuous integration server farm (e.g., Hydra, Cuirass).  Another of
those things is a make-like build system (not yet created).

A make-like build system that leverages the functional software
deployment model by using the Guix daemon can, in theory, remain largely
decoupled from Guix, which is a package manager that happens to also
leverage the functional software deployment model by using the Guix
daemon.  This is similar to how, in theory, you could run Nix alongside
Guix and have them both use the same daemon.

So, I don't think the notion of creating a build system that leverages
the functional software deployment model by using the Guix daemon is
unreasonable.  However, I do agree it would be smart to think about ways
to keep such a build system decoupled from Guix, the package manager.

--
Chris