guix-devel

Re: Help needed updating vlc to version 3.0.1.

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Help needed updating vlc to version 3.0.1.
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:00:52 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Guix,
>
> Below I've attached a draft patch to update vlc to 3.0.1, and also to
> add several more inputs based on reading the output of the 'configure'
> script.
>
> It builds successfully and mostly works except for one problem: the
> icons are missing from the control buttons on the main window of the Qt
> interface.  The icons in question are .svg files in the source tarball,
> but are converted into data structures within C++ source code using
> 'rcc'.
>
> strace reveals that vlc is performing 'stat' system calls on bogus file
> names beginning with ":/", e.g. ":/toolbar/play_b.svg".  These
> correspond to the missing icons.  According to
> <https://doc.qt.io/archives/qt-4.8/resources.html>, these names that
> begin with ":/" are meant to be references to resources that were
> imported using 'rcc'.
>
> I can't afford to spend more time on this right now.  I don't use vlc
> myself, but for security reasons I think it's important to keep our
> media players up-to-date, especially media players like vlc that bundle
> their own codecs.  I expect that vlc is quite popular, which makes it
> all the more important.
>
> I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of Qt will step up to debug
> this problem.  Any volunteers?
>
> Note, this patch is based on core-updates, but hopefully it would work
> on 'master' too.

Thanks a lot for working on this!  I applied your patch to ‘master’ and
built VLC.  It is missing the icons.

Then I manually built it inside a ‘guix environment vlc’.
Launching it shows the icons.  Leaving the environment and running the
same executable misses the icons.

Could it be that we need to propagate an input?
I'll try to dissect it further.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen