guix-devel

Re: Generating wrappers for execution in non-root non-Guix contexts

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Generating wrappers for execution in non-root non-Guix contexts
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 20:21:08 -0700

> Hello Guix!
>
> The hack below allows ‘guix pack’ to produce wrappers that allow,
> through user namespaces, programs to automatically relocate themselves
> when you run them unprivileged on a machine that lacks Guix.

That's really cool!

I've noticed that when running in a chroot-like environment, sometimes
programs expect certain files to exist that don't - for example, device
files in /dev, procfs files in /proc, or even things like
/etc/resolv.conf.  Does this wrapper automatically create those kinds of
files, or would programs that want to access those kinds of files still
need some special love on an case-by-case basis?

--
Chris