guix-devel

Re: Rebasing guile-daemon branch onto master

From: Sandeep Subramanian
Subject: Re: Rebasing guile-daemon branch onto master
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 20:45:53 +0000

*----------------*--------------------*-----------------------------*

            *-----------------------*--------------------------------*
>                         (654c8a7)         (5e27bfc)
(f5dfbaa)

> A lot of commits on the guile daemon section of the branch are also found
> between 78a5205 and 2472f7a. For example both c4395e7 and 5e27bfc
> are the exact same patches and have the same patch-id. And almost all the
> 932 commits have a duplicate patch.

> I think this is the reason why both rebase and cherry are showing a lot of
> redundant commits.

> To verify, I created an orphaned branch "orphan" from the 78a5205 commit
and
> and did `git cherry-pick 2472f7a..guile-daemon`. Then a `git cherry master
> orphan`
> revealed 30 "+ commits" and 902 "- commits". `git diff guile-daemon
orphan`
> was empty
> and the 30 "+ commits" corresponded to the 30 commits by Caleb Ristvedt.

> Shall I now rebase by picking only these 30 commits?

> I don't know if what I am doing is right. I could use some guidance and
> criticism now.

Fixed the graph formatting.

(78a5205)        (2472f7a)        (master-HEAD)
          \    (c4395e7)   \
           \                        \   (e338c9b)
            \                        *--------------*-*(guile-daemon-HEAD)
             \                     (36cc971)     /