guix-devel

Re: Fwd: Re: Patch file for colorize module

From: Sahitihi
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Patch file for colorize module
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 01:19:33 +0530

Hi Ricardo,

Please find my changes in the patch file attached.

  (Generally, you really shouldn’t be developing things as
“root”.)

This time I din't do it as root.
For this commit a message like this would be appropriate:
Added a appropriate commit message.
Please always add a so-called docstring for all defined procedures.
Please bear me for this time. I din't add this yet.
You have probably noticed that this looks rather repetitive at this
point.  Maybe we can think of a better way to express what colours
should be applied.  The match group numbers are monotonically
increasing, so maybe we can avoid repeated statements of this kind and
simply iterate over a list of colours…  I have an idea already; how
about you?  :)

I have an idea about making a using filter-string and lists. Not sure about functionality but that seems fine. :-P
Another thing that’s worth thinking about now is the next step:
how can we *optionally* hide all lines between these build system
notices about started and completed build phases?
I din't think of it yet. Will do it in mean process.
One more thing: the fact that handle-string didn’t do the right thing
indicates that you didn’t test the changes well enough.  To test them,
please locally modify “guix/scripts/build.scm” and/or
“guix/scripts/package.scm” to make it use your colourful port instead of
the default, as discussed on IRC and in previous emails.
I made changes to guix/scripts/build.scm  but that din/t workout. That resulted me colourless outputs as before. :-(

Thanks!
Sahithi