guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 11:15:16 +0200

Le 2018-06-07 17:25, Catonano a écrit :
I just published my latest blog post

In this post I discuss Guix

And I discuss Guile too

I understand that the language is strong and I expect someone to be
upset

But I feel this is due

Happy reading

http://catonano.v22018025836661967.nicesrv.de/the-gnu-community.html

Hi,

that was a long but interesting reading :)

I won't be able to address your main points, about the Guile and the broader GNU community. That's because even though I'm part of Guix, I haven't really interacted with them (yet?). My only interactions were through Guix and a GHM I attended when I wasn't a contributor to anything. I remember it as a friendly event though, so your post is a bit of a surprise to me. Let me try and address some of the minor
points instead.

I read you're having trouble to find information from the section titles. Info manuals have an index where it's easier to find things. But actually, what helps me the most is to ignore the `info` command and open either the full .texi source or the "html in one page" version. Then I can do full-text search, which is a lot quicker. Does
anyone know if there is a similar facility in the info program?

I've also found that GNU documentations were not excessively easy to navigate. It's sometimes a bit hard to find information on something fuzzy like "what's the function that returns only part of a string again?" or "is there something that can grow like a list, but with O(1) access?", but it's a great document to have when reading existing code: each procedure is very detailed and in a language that I find easy to understand (although it sometimes refers to another part of the manual).

Ludo proposed to create a separate document for user stories and tutorials on how to do specific things, Rekado suggested creating video tutorials explaining specific
points. I think this is the right direction.

About your concerns on recommending Guix to others, I think you're mistaken. I actually discovered Guile through Guix and I haven't have any bad experience. I'm not on #guile because people on #guix are generous enough to answer unrelated stupid questions :) Guile was even my first functional programming language and I managed to learn just enough of it to be able to create packages and system configurations. All of that from reading existing code, copying parts that looked related to what I wanted to do and not knowing what I was doing at all :). So from experience, you can use and even contribute to guix without ever going to #guile. You just need a good tutorial from the internet. My point is, if you don't want to recommand the guile community, you can still
recommand the friendly guix community.