guix-devel

Re: [shepherd] herd status suggestion

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [shepherd] herd status suggestion
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 13:31:58 +0200

Hi Nils,

> abyayala$ sudo herd status tor
> Status of tor:
>   It is stopped.
>   It is disabled.
>   Provides (tor).
>   Requires (user-processes loopback syslogd).
>   Conflicts with ().
>   Will be respawned.
>   Last respawned on Sun Jun 10 08:08:45Z 2018.
>

> Would it be an option to change the status output to,
> if it conflicts with no other service:
>
>   Conflicts with no other services.
>
> instead of the representation of an empty list?

This sounds like a good idea.  The only argument in favour of keeping it
the way it is now is too weak to take serious: it makes it slightly
easier to parse the output of “herd status”.

Could you please prepare a patch to change the output?  It’s also worth
checking how gettext is used in shepherd (I don’t know more than that it
uses “l10n” as a “gettext” alias) to make sure that the string can be
translated.

Thanks for this proposal!

--
Ricardo