guix-devel

Re: hplip qt

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: hplip qt
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 23:53:25 +0200

Hullo ng0,

Nils Gillmann wrote:
Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> added in 407ef4b38ad394e0b63320b029d95afdd3da6888 support for Qt to Hplip. What feels like a lifetime ago, my patch with the same intention was reviewed and to be worked in a separation of Qt and hplip, which I found reasonable at that time but drowned in all the branches I had back then.

Where was this?

I still find Qt as a dependency for hplip unreasonable.

One possible problem is that our PyQt doesn't benefit from the modularity (FWIW) of our Qt packages. I doubt HP's widgets need qtmultimedia, qtwebchannel, or qtlocation, but there they are anyway, probably wasting a few hundred MiB in total.

Can we split the package up as we did for Octave?

If you can separate the GUI tools from the driver without breaking anything — including user expectations — go for it! Any idea how other distributions handle this?

I agree that a separate UI output (ideally) or package would be nicer than the monolith we have now, but I don't find an unusable UI to be in any way more ‘reasonable’ than adding the right dependency to fix it.

Kind regards,

T G-R