guix-devel

Re: Broken alsa-utils?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Broken alsa-utils?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 23:57:37 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> It worked!
>
> Can you explain the workaround?

IIUC this just overrides the settings in /etc/asound.conf, which
configure the pcm default to go through the pulseaudio plugin.

I don’t recommend changing this with ~/.asoundrc.  If you really want
this changed it’s better to change the Guix system service that
generates /etc/asound.conf.  I also don’t recommend changing that
service, though, because applications do spawn pulseaudio automatically,
and that will block your audio hardware.  With the asoundrc override you
force other applications to use the blocked audio hardware.

--
Ricardo