guix-devel

Re: Installer and luks support.

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Installer and luks support.
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 12:25:09 +0100

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. dec.
9., V, 12:15):

> Hi Gábor,
>
> > Can't we offer here the option to retry the failed step? i.e. guix system
> > init
> > in this case? I mean we have everything set up to simply retry. Does
> > that make sense?
>
> Yes that could be a viable option. We could allow the user to launch
> again the install command, but we cannot allow him to go back to the
> installer menu and resume the process wherever.

I believe this might be a good choice first. This seems also easier to do.

> Or, we could keep the menu active but remove some critical steps such as
> "partitioning" that require umounting/closing.

On the long run it would be nicer to get the dependencies and the resources
figured out, so the we can go back to whatever step we want. I mean if a step
needs a resource available, for example the mount then we can make it available
when entering that step. And when for example we repartiton the drive, then all
later steps depends on that, so we need to redo all the later steps. WDYT?