guix-devel

Re: 01/01: hydra: Increase image sizes for USB image and Flash image.

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: 01/01: hydra: Increase image sizes for USB image and Flash image.
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 09:17:23 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One problem with the installation OS is that it’s pulling ALSA and all
>> sorts of sound-related libraries (libsamplerate, etc.), which clearly is
>> unnecessary in the installation image.  That comes from the alsa-utils
>> udev rules.  We could remove those udev rules, but since they’re in
>> %base-services, I chose not to do that to avoid breaking everyone’s
>> config.

for sure users should be warned of this important change, anyway I doubt
any user using sound does not use %desktop-services (possibly customized)

> I’m in favour of moving them elsewhere, such as %desktop-services.

yes please: sound related services are not-so-base, we do not need them
on installation/web/mail/DNS et. al servers (and containers) and it does
not makes much sense to remove them an all that class of
hosts/containers

it makes sense - semantically speaking - to move sound to
%desktop-services since we only need sound on desktops

thanks!
Gio

--
Giovanni Biscuolo