guix-devel

Re: Gash and Geesh together at last

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Gash and Geesh together at last
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 13:10:42 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi!

> Timothy Sample <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I am very happy to announce that Gash and Geesh are merging into a
>> single project.  Jan and I discussed this earlier today, and decided
>> that the time has come.  We worked out a list of goodies from each
>> project that we should be able to zip together into an even greater
>> whole.
>
> I’m really happy you found a rough path towards a merged project!  The
> three of you have been doing awesome work and I’m sure the merged
> project will be even more impressive.

Thanks, yes I'm very happy too!  We'll first have to create a rough
merger, then make it really work and hopefully also chat about a path
forward.  I think Gash and Geesh had slightly different priorities in
their goals but I am sure that will work out perfectly.

> This is an important milestone in our quest to reduce bootstrap
> binaries!

Indeed, I have been experimenting somewhat with Gash on the
wip-bootstrap branch in an attempt to remove coreutils&co and am now
blocked for missing functionality.

Once we have this merger in place I suspect we may see a lot of progress
on the Scheme-only bootstrap front :-)

janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com