guix-devel

Re: bioinformatics.scm vs bioconductor.scm ?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: bioinformatics.scm vs bioconductor.scm ?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:49:20 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, but for example this convention about CRAN is not consistent with
> the importer. :-)
>   guix import cran corpcor -r
> fills the license field with (license gpl3+) and not (license license:gpl3+)

That’s right.  The importer does not know where the generated package
definition is supposed to be used.

> In other words, why the cran.scm needs a prefix for the license field?

It uses a prefix because we use the “zlib” package often, but not the
“zlib” license.  We could exclude the “zlib” license from (guix
licenses), or import only a specified list of licenses, or we can solve
this naming conflict by prefixing all values from (guix licenses) with
“license:” (or anything else, really).

Really small modules often don’t have this problem in the first place,
so they don’t need to find a solution to work around the naming
conflicts.

--
Ricardo