guix-devel

How I got stuck (and ways to resolve)

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: How I got stuck (and ways to resolve)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 16:03:00 +0100

Hi Guix,

the task for mentors in this Outreachy week #3 is to give an
example of how one got stuck in a problem, and show ways to go on and
finally succeed with your problem.

So, I write a bit about my problems and encourage everyone else to tell
their story of small or big stucks.

Our intern in this round is doing video documentation, so her tasks are
a bit different than "normal" contributions, anyway I will report about
packaging problems as this is what I mostly did for Guix and where I
really got stuck and I think everyone of us gets stuck quickly with
this.

When packaging a new software for Guix, I start with documenting the
process: I create a new MarkDown file (I will be very sloppy with the
syntax), write the date and package I want to pack and start. Mostly,
this is "write-only": I just write down my activity, my problems and
the solution. I rarely read that again. But it helps me structure the
task and continue on when I put it aside for a while.

In general, my problem is that I know nothing (or: always too little)
about makefiles, about C and C++, about CMake, Python, Qt, Ruby, and
all the rest: I'm a Java expert and I know nothing about all these
"strange" languages and their "brainfucked" error messages.

So, one of the first "solutions" is to keep calm and read the error
message. Read it again. Try to parse it. What is the problem? From which
program/compiler/tool did it came? From which dependency? Is really
THIS the problem, or is it caused by something ELSE somewhere above? In
which build phase did it occur (configure, compile, test, ...)?

Let's dig into one from opencv, don't look too much into the details
of the error message:

---8<---unaltered-citation::start--8<-------------------------------

[...]

Now it compiles.

But then I stumble over a nasty build error:

```
cd /tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/build/modules/video && /gnu/store/5sv5zy2k
gg6iaqyv8zw49w4243j0xkd0-gcc-5.4.0/bin/c++   -DCVAPI_EXPORTS -D_USE_MATH_DEFINES
 -D__OPENCV_BUILD=1 -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIM
IT_MACROS -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/build -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.
4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/video/include -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-
0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/video/src -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/build/modu
les/video -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/core/include
 -I/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/imgproc/include  -fsi
gned-char -W -Wall -Werror=return-type -Werror=non-virtual-dtor -Werror=address
-Werror=sequence-point -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wmissing-declarations -
Wundef -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow -Wsign-promo -Wuninitialized -Winit-
self -Wno-narrowing -Wno-delete-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-comment -fdiagnostics-show
-option -Wno-long-long -pthread -fomit-frame-pointer -ffunction-sections -fdata-
sections  -msse -msse2 -msse3 -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -O
2 -g -DNDEBUG -fPIC    -Winvalid-pch  -include "/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv
-0/build/modules/video/precomp.hpp" -o CMakeFiles/opencv_video.dir/src/ecc.cpp.o
 -c /tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/video/src/ecc.cpp
In file included from
/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/imgcodecs/src/grfmt_exr.hpp:52:0,
                 from
/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/imgcodecs/src/grfmts.hpp:53,
                 from
/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/opencv-3.4.0/modules/imgcodecs/src/loadsave.cpp:47:
/gnu/store/kikj95f44ygrp3fapd1yybykxl167i0l-openexr-2.2.1/include/OpenEXR/ImfChromaticities.h:46:22:
 fatal error: ImathVec.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [modules/imgcodecs/CMakeFiles/opencv_imgcodecs.dir/build.make:66:
modules/imgcodecs/CMakeFiles/opencv_imgcodecs.dir/src/loadsave.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-opencv-3.4.0.drv-0/build'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:4057:
modules/imgcodecs/CMakeFiles/opencv_imgcodecs.dir/all] Error 2

```

Bug reports maybe related:

* https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865862
* https://github.com/ampas/CTL/issues/15

But somehow not.

While I was executing `find /gnu/store -name ImathVec.h`, I had that idea: Look
again at the
Guix definition of *openexv*. And yes: There is also that package `ilmbase`.
And here we go:

```
./6knqzzds4fp6y4qrzyg2ppx6qmiil7jr-ilmbase-2.2.1/include/OpenEXR/ImathVec.h
```

So, let's add that to the inputs, too!

Failed again. Would habe been too nice to work.

I found something in graphics.scm: blender has also a workaround for it:

```
       #:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
         (add-after 'set-paths 'add-ilmbase-include-path
           (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)
             ;; OpenEXR propagates ilmbase, but its include files do not appear
             ;; in the CPATH, so we need to add "$ilmbase/include/OpenEXR/" to
             ;; the CPATH to satisfy the dependency on "ImathVec.h".
             (setenv "CPATH"
                     (string-append (assoc-ref inputs "ilmbase")
                                    "/include/OpenEXR"
                                    ":" (or (getenv "CPATH") "")))
             #t)))))
```

Yes, that's it.

Going to the next error:

---8<---unaltered-citation::end--8<-------------------------------

* This was during the compile phase
* You see this "Error 2", which is not the error.
* The error is above "Error 1", but if you compile in parallel, there
could be some garbage in between. Be aware to always search up for
"Error 1".
* Some header file could not be found.
* I didn't know what to do.
* So I googled for it.
* I found some reports which where not too helpful
* Out of desparation, I brute-force searched the store for it.
* I somehow had the idea to look closer at/around package "openexv" and
found "ilmbase" as the root package.
* With that hint, I just added that dependency too.
* OK, it would have been too nice if it worked directly...
* I searched around and could find another package using it that
prepared a CPATH. Copy&paste solved that problem finally.
* Surprise, the very next problem is directly coming!

What is always annoying are failing tests. What's even more annoying is
when you notice that they fail on upstream too and nobody cares.

Here is one example out of my log:

---8<---unaltered-citation::start--8<-------------------------------

I found out that opencv is using Google Test framework.
And you can disable individual tests by adding "DISABLED_" in front
of the test name

https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/docs/AdvancedGuide.md

chapter: Temporarily Disabling Tests
```
For example, the following tests won't be run by Google Test, even though they
will still be compiled:

// Tests that Foo does Abc.
TEST(FooTest, DISABLED_DoesAbc) { ... }
```

---8<---unaltered-citation::end--8<-------------------------------

So, here OpenCV is using a specific test framework and I first had to
find out how to disable tests in it.

In the final package definition, this introduced a new package phase
that disables the tests with a substitute* construct to add the
"DISABLED_" macro in the C file.

Some general ways to resolve:

* Look exactly at the error message.
* Google it. Is it fixed somewhere else?
* Look at packages that use the dependency that causes the problem. Do
they have a solution?
* Is there a newer version of your software?
* Is there documentation about the dependencies?
* Maybe you need a SPECIFIC version of one library to build your
package? Try to up/downgrade that dependency.
* Write down your problem. Be very specific and write it in a way down
that others can reproduce it.
* Sometimes, just writing helps already. If not, send it out to the
mailing list to ask for help.

And finally:

* Take a break.
* Drink a tea.
* Get back when you are fresh and concentrated.

And if all doesn't help:

* Get sarcastic. You are not alone with your problems: There is at
least Kenneth Hoste with his great talk "How To Make Package Managers
Cry" from FOSDEM 2018:

https://archive.fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/how_to_make_package_managers_cry/

Björn