guix-devel

Re: Video subtitles

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: Video subtitles
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:03:49 -0300

Hi!

> I have no strong opinions about using “.usf”.  “.ass” may just be fine.
> Apparently, it can be converted to po files for translation with
> “sub2po”, which is part of the “translate” toolkit.  I have no
> experience with this, and I think it would be better to use a format
> that didn’t require even more tools to work with.
I have taken a look at sub2po. I understand that it translates .srt or
.sub files only.
I read it from here:
http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/formats/subtitles.html

The following formats are supported for subtitles:
MicroDVD
MPL2
MPsub
SubRip (.srt)
SubViewer 2.0 (.sub)
TMPlayer
Sub Station Alpha
Advanced Sub Station Alpha
BTW, is there a player that you suggest for adding the subtitles?
> Aegisub does not need to be part of the automated process to compile the
> videos.
Thanks, I was quite worried about having to automate the part of
creating the subtitles..  What about Pierre's suggestion of
mkvtoolnix?

Regards!
Laura