guix-devel

GNOME 3.30: help needed!

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: GNOME 3.30: help needed!
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 20:43:21 +0100

Hi Guix,

I just pushed the branch “wip-gnome3.30” to Savannah.  It is based on
“wip-gnome-upgrades”, but upgrades our GNOME packages to version 3.30.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out how to start a GNOME
session with this version.  I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of
setting the correct environment variables so that all the required
libraries and the DBus service files are found.

My ~/.xsession file ends on

    gnome-session
    sleep 60

to avoid an annoying endless session reload.

Note that the wayland backend is the new default.  If you want a little
less mystery at first, try setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11.

I would very much appreciate any help you can provide in pushing this
upgrade into a usable shape!  Let’s meet in #guix and hack on this!

--
Ricardo