guix-devel

Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: the upcoming Great Python2 Purge™
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 23:38:41 -0500

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:38:12AM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> We're now about a year out from the official EOL for python2 (Jan 1,
> 2020). So far we've been not adding python2 variants of packages that
> are new unless they're actually needed for something. Do we want to
> start removing python2 packages when updating other packages if they are
> leaf packages?

This was previously discussed here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-06/msg00237.html

That discussion didn't go very far. As you mentioned, the consensus
seemed to be that we 1) relax the policy of always providing both Python
2 and 3 packages and 2) we'll act when we need to.

My opinion is that we should remove Python 2 packages after the upstream
EOL announcement if they are causing trouble somehow.

But I don't think we need to remove them en masse. We offer many other
packages that are basically abandoned upstream, so I think it will be
okay to keep the Python 2 packages as long as there are no bugs or if
they are maintained somehow.