guix-devel

Re: Getting a copy of the Cuirass (berlin.guixsd.org) database

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Getting a copy of the Cuirass (berlin.guixsd.org) database
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 19:08:43 +0000

> Hi Danny,
>
> Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 22:00:06 +0100
>> Björn Höfling <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure if anybody else responded to you, but I have a database
>>> around. I got it last year from Clement Lassieur. It is 1.6 GB in size,
>>> I made a tar.xz an that is only 86 MB! I wonder if there is anything
>>> wrong or it is just thaaat compressible!
>>
>> I think we didn't set up the infrastructure to VACUUM the database.
>>
>> The default in sqlite is not to VACUUM ever, so we probably should
>> either stop the entire thing and vacuum it once a week or we could
>> set up autovacuum to incremental or full (the latter would vacuum
>> at each commit) if we ever ran out of space.
>
> What would it take to enable autovacuum?  Sounds like something we
> should do.  :-)

I think vacuum can result in the rowid values changing [1], and in at
least one place (the build ids), the rowid values are exposed to users.

1: https://www.sqlite.org/lang_createtable.html#rowid

I think by creating a explicit column for the id, it's possible to avoid
them changing during the vacuum, so it might be good to do that before
vacuuming.