guix-devel

Re: Texlive: Asymptote error: Math formula deleted: Insufficient symbol

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Texlive: Asymptote error: Math formula deleted: Insufficient symbol fonts.
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 22:49:20 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The issue is actually much worse than that: "tabular" is broken in LaTeX! :(
>
> Oh,
>
>> Sorry, but I can't typeset math unless \textfont 2
>> and \scriptfont 2 and \scriptscriptfont 2 have all
>> the \fontdimen values needed in math symbol fonts.
>
> If only I knew what this means… We could grep for these things in the
> big texlive package and then try to find the equivalent in the modular
> texlive packages.

I find a lot of “setfontdimen” instances in texmf-dist/tex/fontinst/,
including the “mathetx” sub-directory.  There is also
“texmf-dist/tex/lualatex/lualatex-math”, which may be of some use when
lualatex is involved.

For the modular texlive we only have “texlive-tex-fontinst-base”, which
is only for the “base” sub-directory.  Turns out we’re building fontinst
wrong.  There is “texmf-dist/source/fontinst/base/fontinst.ins”, which
is a source package.  Currently, we just copy the pre-generated “base”
sub-directory as if there were no sources.

We should change that, but we have the minor problem that we probably
cannot use the texlive-build-system here as texlive-tex-fontinst-base is
a dependency of texlive-base.  We may have to build the ins file
“manually” or define a new “texlive-fontinst” package that uses
“texlive-tex-fontinst-base” in its bootstrap graph (via the
texlive-build-system).

What do you think?

--
Ricardo