guix-devel

Re: Updating mono. Adding MSBuild.

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Updating mono. Adding MSBuild.
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 12:23:10 +0100

Hi,

> > Mono, for most distributions, seems to be bootstrapped with a prebuilt
> > binary mono-lite. Due to this, I am unsure of how to make the first step
> > in correctly repackaging Mono.
>
> Instead of adding a new binary mono-lite, can we reuse the existing
> “mono” package to build the new Mono?

+1

> (I don’t know what MSBuild is and how it would help here.)

MSBuild is something like Ant for .NET.  (or "make", but with more XML :) )

I think Brett means that MSBuild is bundled with mono.

I failed to unbundle some things just to have a CVE in one of the bundled
dependencies DAYS later.  I think it's not a good idea in general to bundle
things.  (But if it's from the same vendor and team anyway they'll probably
update their bundled copy after fixing CVEs, too)