guix-devel

Re: Software Heritage & Guix

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Software Heritage & Guix
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 10:17:57 +0200

Hello Guix!

mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:

>> Long-term archival is something that cannot be left to peer-to-peer
>> networks:

I disagree here: P2P/decentralized archival is a _resilient_ archival
method and is _not_ in contrast with long-term: a group of users
(including institutions at various levels) can decide that some or all
of a "decentralized Software Heritage" archive deserves availability
guarantees :-)

[...]

> There is a relevant section in their documentation on pinning services
> which seems to address this directly:
>
> https://docs.ipfs.io/guides/concepts/pinning
>
> So maybe peer to peer data storage networks can do long-term archival.

so maybe Software Heritage could have a decentralized storage model
instead of a centralized one... but this have direct implications on
what content swh can store (I mean non-free sofware)

anyway decentralized storage (IPFS/gnu:net)is already in Guix radar,
could be in swh radar too :-)

"decentralized software heritage" could even be an interesting
application on top secushare :-O

thanks! Gio

--
Giovanni Biscuolo