guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 13:19:44 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

> I don't get very well the Linux graphics stack but my understanding is
> that passing "nomodeset" to Linux will disable KMS and thus kmscon won't
> work. Is that correct ?

I don't know.  It might be the case but I doubt it.  Why would kmscon remove
a perfectly fine fallback that's pretty similar to use anyway?

There's an example in kmscon's README that has:

    $ ./configure --with-video=fbdev,drm2d [...]

Reading configure.ac, I get the impression that this means that there are two
backends then, fbdev and drm2d, and the user can select one.

I suggest that we use fbdev (maybe at runtime, but maybe just disable everything
else :P).

I'm very much minimalist especially in system installers.  So many things can
go wrong and it's much better to have *some* system than to have no system
installed :)