guix-devel

Re: What is the philosophy behind shepherd?

From: znavko
Subject: Re: What is the philosophy behind shepherd?
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 08:08:54 +0000

Kathernie, you will get more conceptions carefully reading these definitions:
https://access.redhat.com/articles/754933
The systemd system and service manager is responsible for controlling how services are started,
stopped and otherwise managed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 systems. By offering on-demand service
start-up and better transactional dependency controls, systemd dramatically reduces start up times.
As a systemd user, you can prioritize critical services over less important services.
... More than services: Instead of just managing services, systemd can manage several different unit types...

https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd
The GNU Daemon Shepherd or GNU Shepherd, formerly known as GNU dmd, is a service manager that looks
after the herd of system services. It provides a replacement for the service-managing capabilities
of SysV-init (or any other init) with a both powerful and beautiful dependency-based system with a
convenient interface.

Of course, 'system manager' systemd pulls the responsibility of whatever you want even boot logs and more than services.
In Russian forum linux.org.ru people dislike it. But it is using in some FSF approved systems (f.e. trisquel).

Did you read LFS book? There, system is building from scratches. That way is when you have no those strange layers with 'system managers'.