guix-devel

Re: wip-netlink

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: wip-netlink
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 23:03:19 +0200

Hi Gábor,

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> skribis:

> Yes, now I do. I was not well, and had to skip a whole week of work,
> then I got overwhelmed when
> I got back.

I’m sorry to hear that, I hope you’re feeling better now.

> I will start working on this again soon. Help is appreciated however,
> so if anyone is willing to have a look into this, that would be
> great. I feel I have most of the data structures in place, I will
> finish up the defines, which are not completed (I will have to hunt
> the headers fo the proper sizes), and I am thinking about creating a
> little abstraction on top of the netlinkmsg, so that we can add
> attributes with the proper 4 byte alignment required by netlink. Then
> I will create a wrapper for the syscalls. After that however we should
> discuss how to actually finish this up, I belive that this could be
> done in two steps, at first expoose the functionality for testing,
> without a reliable command transfer, then add in the acknowledge
> handling later. Wdyt?

That sounds promising.  I don’t have an opinion on how to move forward
in terms of code since I’m not sufficiently familiar with netlink.

With respect to 1.0, I wonder whether we should start a backup plan
where we simply call out to ‘ip’.  That way, we can develop the netlink
API without pressure and start using it instead of ‘ip’ when it’s ready.

We also need to think about adjustments to be made to
‘static-networking-service’ so that it covers important use cases.

What do people think?

If you’ve ever experienced the shortcomings of
‘static-networking-service’ and had to work around it, please share the
interface that you’d like to see!

Thanks,
Ludo’.