guix-devel

Re: 07/07: services: console-keymap: Deprecate.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 07/07: services: console-keymap: Deprecate.
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 23:09:56 +0200

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Well, I described adding custom keybindings to the console keymap, for
> which I cannot find any examples in the manual.  I see only examples of
> using the pre-existing layouts, variants, and options that are built in
> to XKB.
>
> On the other hand, I just found that adding:
>
>   (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" #:options '("ctrl:nocaps")))
>
> has the effect of adding all of the keyboard bindings that I personally
> want.

Yes, that’s the one I had in mind.

> For the curious: the "custom" bindings I wanted are just those that Xorg
> has by default, but that are missing from the default console keyboard
> map.  Most notably, I had found that many (most?) Meta+Shift keyboard
> combinations did not work properly in Emacs at the console, until I
> added my "custom" bindings.  However, these missing bindings are
> installed when my OS config has the above 'keyboard-layout' line.

Great, I’m glad this works for you.

> So, thank you for implementing this new keyboard configuration system,
> which is clearly a great improvement over what we had before, and which
> now allows me to remove rather large section of my OS config that held
> my keyboard map.
>
> On the other hand, if this new system does not support custom keymaps,
> it would be good to keep the old console-keymap-service around, even if
> tucked in a back room, renamed, and clearly marked "only for hackers".
> However, I don't feel strongly about it.  As you say, hackers can cook
> up their own private service if they need to, I suppose.

Yeah, I’m not opposed to keeping ‘console-keymap-service’ if people are
find XKB configuration too limiting.  I just don’t want it to be the
first thing newcomers stumble upon when looking for ways to configure
their keyboard.

Thanks,
Ludo’.