guix-devel

Re: [BLOG] custom kernel config

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [BLOG] custom kernel config
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 16:57:28 +0200

Hello Efraim,

Like I wrote before, I like the tone and how the post addresses the
topic.  So I just have minor cosmetic suggestions, and then I guess you
can push to guix-artwork.git and we can put it on-line maybe tomorrow?

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:

> Guix is, at its core, a source based distribution with substitutes, and
                                                         ^~
Perhaps link to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>
here.

> as such building packages from their source code is an expected part of
> regular package installations and upgrades.  Given this starting point,
> it makes sense that efforts are made to reduce the amount of time spent
> compiling packages, and recent changes and upgrades to the building and
> distribution of substitutes continues to be a topic of discussion within
> Guix.  One of the packages which I prefer to not build myself is the
       ^
Start a new paragraph here?

> The linux-libre kernel package definition is actually a procedure which
      ^
Please make sure to write `linux-libre` (with backquotes) for all the
identifiers, file names, and commands that appears in the post, notably
all the CONFIG_* identifiers.

Perhaps you can also link to
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/linux.scm#n294>?

> (define-public linux-libre-macbook41
>   ;; XXX: Access the internal 'make-linux-libre' procedure, which is
>   ;; private and unexported, and is liable to change in the future.
>   ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre) (@@ (gnu packages linux)
> %linux-libre-version)

Can this one be rewritten using the ‘inherit’ idiom that was discussed?
If not, that’s probably OK since you explicitly write that this is not
the recommended approach.

Thanks for your work!

Ludo’.