guix-devel

Re: Website translation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Website translation
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 14:29:52 +0200

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:28:31PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> Another option I would like the most is using a custom PO file writer
> and MO file reader that generates a single msgid directly from the
> original nested s-expression.  Such a procedure seems nice to use, but
> complicated to implement.

I will try writing a custom xgettext that combines
nested·s-expressions·that are marked for translation with G_
to·a·single·msgstr that gets written to the·PO·file.  This combined
string will not be part of the source code but will be generated from
a nested sexp.  The PO file containing the combined strings can then
be translated as usual.  For reading the translation, the combined
msgstr will be constructed again by the marking procedure G_ and
looked up by reading from an MO file.

It will take me a few days and a MO file reader will still be missing.
I suppose it would be easier to use for the sxml’s author who would
not need to write special code to internationalize the sxml.

Regards,
Florian