guix-devel

Re: IceWeasel-UXP and IceDove-UXP

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: IceWeasel-UXP and IceDove-UXP
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 17:39:19 -0600

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 13:01:16 -0400
Raghav Gururajan <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I think I can port icedove-uxp, and guixuser can use my code as a
> > template for iceweasel. It will help guixuser get comfortable with
> > porting and fixing packages, which would be important if guixuser is
> > remain a guix user.
>
> Hello Jesse!
>
> It is great to hear that you are willing to work on this. I was just
> planning yesterday to attempt porting those packages to guix. As you
> said, it would be very helpful if you could port icedove-uxp and share
> the patch. If guixuser not willing to work on this, I can try porting
> iceweasel-uxp using your template. ☺
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> RG.

When I start a guix environment and try to build icedove-uxp, it
complains that it cannot find basilisk. The trademark for basilisk is
strictly and mercilessly protected (see the license in the UXP project
[0], the licensing page[1] and the redistribution license [2]), and
I am not willing to define basilisk because I think it is nonfree
due to the trademark policy and I do not want any trouble with
moonchild/PaleMoon. I have placed my work on icedove-uxp on hold for
now and consider it very low priority.

guixuser or RG, if you want to figure out how to build icedove-uxp
without basilisk, be my guest. You can find what I did at my
github repository for broken guix package definitions:
https://github.com/jgibbons94/Broken-Guix-Packages

The UXP package in broken-packages/uxp.scm is basically complete; to
use it in a project (such as icedove-uxp), link $source/mozilla to
wherever guix installs uxp.

The icedove-uxp package in broken-packages/icedove-uxp.scm is broken
and minimalistic but is a good starting template.

Have fun!

-Jesse

[0]:https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/blob/master/LICENSE
[1]: http://www.palemoon.org/licensing.shtml