guix-devel

Re: Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Inscrutable error when using “guix deploy”
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:29:51 +0200

Hi Alex,

> This error, in general shape, looks very much like an error I kept getting
> when first "deploying" to a guix server. I found that doing a pull on the
> server, followed by a system reconfigure then allowed me to actually
> successfully run deploy afterwards.
>
> I'm not sure what causes that, but thought perhaps it was to do with
> running an older version of guix on the target server before pulling?

Thanks, it’s possible that this is in fact the case here.

The error is really hard to diagnose, though, because there’s no file to
inspect.  It would be good if “guix deploy” could catch errors stemming
from the use of older Guixes on the target and throw a more instructive
error message.

@Jakob: What do you think?  Can we check for required Guix facilities on
the remote and abort if they don’t exist?

--
Ricardo