guix-devel

Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2019 11:11:56 +0200

On Sat, 2019-08-31 at 19:27 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

I have some further guix/guile questions when building and running guix on
GHU/Hurd natively

On the GNU/Hurd image:
download and unpack guix-1.0.1.tar.gz
cd guix-1.0.1

1) When building guix from source
./configure --with-courage --prefix=/usr 2>&1 | tee ../configure-with-
courage.log
make 2>&1 | tee ../make.log
ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (bytestructures guile)
export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=~/DEBs/scheme-bytestructures/scheme-bytestructures
The above fixes that error.

a) How do I add that module and in which *.scm file?

2) Building Hello

./pre-inst-env guix build --verbosity=10000 --keep-failed --log-file hello 2>&1
| tee build-hello-keep+log.log

a) Where do I find the build log, and where is the failed build directory?
b) After building the bootstrap tarballs on my GNU/Linux guix image:

ls /gnu/store/zb89702az7xx3c0y21ip6gsql5fxa8ws-bootstrap-tarballs-0
binutils-static-stripped-2.31.1-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
gcc-stripped-5.5.0-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
glibc-stripped-2.28-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
guile-static-stripped-2.2.4-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz
static-binaries-0-i586-pc-gnu.tar.xz

and copying them to gnu/packages/bootstrap/i586-pc-gnu/
- Should they be as is *.xz or unpacked to *.tar or untarred?
- The manual says:
http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Bootstrapping.html#index-bootstrap-binaries-1
How to make guix find these tarballs?

http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Porting.html#Porting
says:
Fortunately, Guix can cross compile those bootstrap binaries.
When everything goes well, and assuming the GNU tool chain supports the
target platform, this can be as simple as running a command like this
one:

guix build --target=armv5tel-linux-gnueabi bootstrap-tarballs
My change here:
guix build --target=i586-pc-gnu --no-substitutes bootstrap-tarballs

For this to work, the glibc-dynamic-linker procedure in
(gnu packages bootstrap) must be augmented to return the right
file name for libc’s dynamic linker on that platform; likewise,
system->linux-architecture in (gnu packages linux) must be
taught about the new platform.

(should probably be changed to (gnu packages gnu) ??)

Once these are built, the (gnu packages bootstrap) module needs
to be updated to refer to these binaries on the target platform.

To which *.scm file to add e.g. (gnu packages bootstrap)?

Thanks!