guix-devel

Re: How to reference external program used in shell-scripts?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: How to reference external program used in shell-scripts?
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 20:37:27 +0200

Am 03.09.19 um 15:01 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> The whole idea of functional software deployment is that it’s stateless:
> you can tell that /gnu/store/…-ansible-1.2.3 will always behave the
> same, no matter what other programs are available on your machine.
>
> Introducing “dynamic binding” (e.g., looking up programs in $PATH) would
> allow for faster security updates in the example you gave, but that
> would be at the expense of that core property I described above.  It
> would be a regression.
>
> I think what we need in this case is (1) fast security updates, which is
> what grafts help us achieve, and (2) documentation that clarifies what
> the deployment model is, such that Mary would know that ‘ansible’ also
> needs to be upgraded in the example above.

I understand this.

Anyway: IMHO missing "dynamic binding" is one of the major drawbacks of
functional deployment, as it requires updating (and esp. downloading)
much more packages compared to a rpm/deb based system.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |