guix-devel

Re: Connecting with SiFive: Potential riscv64 boards

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Connecting with SiFive: Potential riscv64 boards
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:51:57 +0300

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 03:47:18PM +0000, Carl Dong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been connected with folks at SiFive who say they are happy to provide
> riscv64 boards for Guix devs depending on availability. I believe riscv64
> will be an important architecture to support for all free software. The
> boards are quite costly right now (~$1000), so it's a good opportunity to get
> some.

Especially after watching some of the FOSDEM 2019 videos, anyone
interested should be happy to know that this likely is less of writing
support from scratch in all the upstream projects but rather porting
Guix itself to 64-bit riscv5 (riscv64? I don't know the nomenclature).

After Guix itself works then you'll want to build All-The-Things™ and
fix build failures as you come across them. For some examples you can
check the git repo for commits including "aarch64-linux" or "Fix build".
There are a couple of packages, like mesa, which get special attention
since its much much easier to work on natively.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר