guix-devel

Re: Guix Data Service - September update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix Data Service - September update
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 22:29:55 +0200

Hi Chris,

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:

> For processing jobs, the records in the database used to be deleted when the
> job was completed, but now the records are kept and there's a page showing
> jobs [4].
>
> 4: http://milano-guix-1.di.unimi.it:8765/jobs

Nice!  The page only shows completed jobs, not queued jobs, right?

> Most recently, lint warnings for lint checkers that don't require network
> access are stored in the database. The warnings are displayed on the revision
> page, and included on the compare page (for example [5]). This follows on from
> the changes that I started talking about here [6].

Nice.  The under-the-hood changes you mentioned above are also really
cool, it seems to be a solid base now.

> In terms of what's next:
>
>  - I've started writing a proposal for the upcoming Outreachy round relating
>    to internationalisation in the Guix Data Service

Yay!

>  - I want to get back to making progress on automating code review for Guix
>    patches, this was one of the main motivations for getting lint warnings in
>    the database and on to the comparison page

That would be great.  In the end, it seems to be that there are quite a
few services we could build around the Data Service.  I’m not sure how
they should interact.

For instance, Mumi could talk to data.guix.gnu.org over an HTTP API, or
should we replicate the database at issues.guix.gnu.org so that Mumi can
tap directly into it?

Likewise, how should something like hpcguix-web (the package browser at
<https://hpc.guix.info/browse>) exploit available data, for instance to
show the history of package versions?

>  - I want to provide public dumps of the database from milano-guix-1, as well
>    as a small extract of that database. I think restoring a database locally
>    is a good way to get data for local development
>
>  - Relating to the Outreachy proposal but also generally, I want to write some
>    documentation on how to get the Guix Data Service running locally
>
>  - Currently the Git repository is on my personal Git server, and there are
>    discussions about moving it to Savannah
>
>  - The Guix package and service definitions haven't been merged, so I want to
>    look at that once the location for the Git repository is sorted out

Looks like it’s done now:
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git>.  :-)

Are there specific areas where you’d like help?  Would you encourage
people to start and hack tools or services that build upon the available
data?

Thank you!

Ludo’.