guix-devel

Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:10:48 +0200

Hello Chris,

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 11., Sze, 12:44):
Hello,

>> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
>> > savannah-hackers, so that
>> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>>
>> That works for me :)

This is now done.

>> I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
>> Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
>> preparation to do for this, like:

I believe you could adopt some of the contribution information from Guix now,
that this is officially associated with the community. You could also modify
the community information to match with Guix. Does that make sense?

>>  - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
>>    milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)

This is also done.

>>  - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
>>    development

This is still needed.

>>  - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
>>    locally

Did you have time to do this?

> The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined later,
> but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
> can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.

Ok, that sounds fine.

> Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of Outreachy, but
> an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time of
> intern
> selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
> like to with
> a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but very
> much reduces
> the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you, and
> more
> attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?

That all sounds fine to me, I've updated the application with some tasks
which I think would make good initial contributions. I'm not sure how
relevant I can make them to the project (without making them too
complicated), so I've just been looking for small improvements to the
exisiting functionality (mostly specifying JSON responses, where I
haven't).

I have seen the initial tasks, and they look good to me.

>> > Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could

>> Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
>> understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
>> is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
>> goals as well.

From the main body of intern tasks, it would be nice to have the goals stated
a bit more exlicitly, and to divide the work into stages a bit.

> Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be asked
> a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule, so
> that they
> can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.

Sounds good :)

Otherwise the proposal now looks to be in really good shape, so I wiil approve it
once we have this few points sorted out.

Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

Did you have time to have a look at these?

I still see some missing TODO items on the proposal. Do you need any help?

Best regards,
g_bor
--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21