guix-devel

Updating a package

From: Divan Santana
Subject: Updating a package
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 12:51:42 +0200

Hi Guix,

I'm trying to go about updating a package and submitting a patch.

A good learning process for me.

I managed to update the package, emacs-exwm and to build it successfully
via:

./pre-inst-env guix build emacs-exwm

Few Qs:

Should I do this after updating a package? make check to check all tests
pass? Or rather the CI does that?

Secondly, how do I go about testing this package on my system (laptop
running guix) to see if the updated package actually works?

I've done this in channels.scm

(list
      (channel
       (name 'guix)
       (url "https://gitlab.com/divansantana/guix/";)
       (branch "master")))

And then updated to my fork, though not sure if that is the best way.

I suppose it may be better to test these things in a vm via guix vm.

Thanks!