guix-devel

Re: (hidden) wrapper+dependencies inconsistency=manifest fails?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: (hidden) wrapper+dependencies inconsistency=manifest fails?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:52:42 +0200

Hi Ludo,

Thank you for explaining.

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:01, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:

> > Therefore, you cannot chain:
> >
> >   guix package -i `guix package --show=guix | recsel -P dependencies`
> >
> > guix package: error: autoconf-wrapper: package not found for version 2.69
>
> Yes, but it’s a fact of life IMO.  :-)

It is against the Unix Philosophy: "Expect the output of every program
to become the input to another". ;-)
Isn't it?

Well, I take that as an annoying fact of life. :-)

> > Moreover, the name in "native-inputs" is not consistent with the
> > declared name. I mean:
> >   guix repl
> >> ,use(guix)
> >> ,use(gnu packages package-management)
> >> (package-native-inputs guix)
> >> (map car (package-native-inputs guix))
>
> This gives you the list of labels for each input.  The labels do _not_
> have to match package names; they can be anything, there can even be
> duplicates, etc.  You should not rely on them at all to identify
> packages.

I understand.
But how to lazily create a manifest without diving in too much details?

Well, how can I create a profile to build guix?

> Eventually, once build systems use gexp, I hope we can even get rid of
> these labels.  Guix 2.0.

If they are useless. :-)

> Does that make sense?

Thank you for the explanations.