guix-devel

Re: Compatibility between Nix and Guix

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Compatibility between Nix and Guix
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 15:25:51 +0200

Pjotr Prins 写道:
It is safe[r?] to use two stores and two daemons. Virtue of isolation :)

I agree. There is no advantage to sharing the store that I can imagine is worth the risk and burden of compiling your entire Guix or Nix world from scratch because you can't use substitutes.

The Guix manual says:
Guix is compatible with Nix, so it is possible to share the same store between both. To do so, you must pass configure not only the same --with-store-dir value, but also the same --localstatedir value. The latter is essential because it specifies where the database that stores metadata about the store is
located, among other things. The default values for Nix are
--with-store-dir=/nix/store and --localstatedir=/nix/var. Note that --disable-daemon is not required if your goal is to share the store with Nix.

Unless somebody objects, I'd like to (wait for it) nix this from the manual entirely.

It may or may not be true still, and even if it is, it's nothing more than a random Fun Fact that doesn't warrant encouragement in official documentation.

Going once,

T G-R